Wednesday 9 May 2007

The Long weekend

After SA's long weekend now it was our turn in the UK. Well ok i'll admit that I hadnt been working the week before it and pretty much just chilled out last week, tried to sort a bank account out and shopped for the remaining bits of Callum's bday prezzie. Wasnt lucky with the bank story until this morning and now I have my very own bank account with money in it but no card yet ..oops. Just to let all potential uk immigrants the most helpful (read actually gave me a current account without a utility bill) is Lloyds TSB...they were great.

Ok so the long weekend then...feels like it was a week long and I need a rest from the it and it is only tuesday.

Friday had me running around going to a couple of interviews which was all good since I heard back from the one within an hour and am now working at another office design and build practice for the next 4 weeks. Then it was back home, quickly dump everything change and off to farewell drinks for Maria who i've been working with the last few weeks and who have become friends with. She is a very sweet colombian who is married to a french man. She is sadly going back to Colombia for 6 weeks so will see her again only then. The drinks were flowing (bought by the boss) and then the champayne was flowing! Evil evil stuff ! Poor Maria landed up extremely drunk and finally I handed her off to her husband and we parted ways...
I got home all by myself in my slightly (read very) drunken state and was very proud of this fact as it was all that I could tell Callum once home. He (also a touch tispy from his work drinks) finally got me to bed and to shut up about getting home on my own.

Now I very much knew that we had plans and train tickets to brighton the next day and was very excited to be going but I must say that when the alarm went off at 8:30am I was not a very happy person. Then I remembered it was Callums bday!! managed to "jump" (very gently) out of bed to give him his presents. You all know how much I love giving presents! Then after popping some pain killers for the pounding head and getting myself together we hurtled off to the train station, stopping for mac donalds breakfast on the way (SO GOOD!) and off to Brighton.

We had no set plan for Brighton and once there discovered that it was the first day of the Brighton festival so the whole place was a hive of activity with streets closed off and the shops and cafes spilling out into them. We wondered down the streets trying to avoid the childrens parade (never seen so many children in one place all dressed up) and find ourselves a very cool bohiemian coffee shop/cafe and comedy venue for coffee and to browse the maps and festival magazines.

* The childrens parade*
Off we went again to stroll around the Lanes (shopping, shopping and more shopping) and then onto Brighton beach. The beach was a bit surreal as it is entirely pebbles, no sand what so ever ! So we slowly made our the shoreline trying not to get our shoes full of pebbles (not too hard since they are bigger then you expect!) and sat listening to the cool sound the pebbles make in the waves and taking the obligatory pics of the beach and the Brighton Pier.
*The Lanes*


We then set off for lunch at Mamma's soul food (or something like that) as per Phil the housemates instructions. So in we go to the very southern american palce complete with the loud african american woman to welcome you and are informed that happyily the chef has had to rush off cause his wife is having thier baby and we can one order one thing...soul in a bowl. So with no idea what was heading our way we said sure, bring it on. Then proceeds 3 courses of multiple dishes, we have ordered a bit of everything on the menu - that is soul in a bowl...EVERYTHING...We ate ourselves stupid and then ate some more and then the next round would come and we would eat even more. Needless to say we rolled ourselves out of there in great need of a walk!

Off we head to the Brighton Pier - I mean how could we go to Brighton and not go to the pier! And so we start some more strolling through the arcades and gambling and stalls or people wanting to sell you your future or tell you what your handwriting says about you and on to the amusement rides (which I must say just made me feel sick looking at them cause I was so STUFFED) BUT of course , it is a pier so what must we have ...ICE CREAM :) I still have no idea where I fitted it. We then just landed up standing by the railing watching the sea and the people in the nice warm sun (the only time I was warm when outside that day!)

Our day was wrapped up with more walking around the markets and the parks etc. Then the train ride home where I was just in the most happiest relaxed bubble curled up in Callums arms as we listened to music together (and he slept) What a wonderful end to a great day and what I hope was a great birthday for Callum.

*The Royal Pavilion*
Then along came sunday and our outing to THE CHURCH ...I had very little idea of what to expect I had heard a few rumours every now and then. The church is basically a club that only opens on a sunday at 12pm and closes at 4pm ...that is 4 hours to drink as much as you can, party as much as you can and generally have a kick ass hedonistic time ! Since it was a bank holiday the next day we were given instructions by Callums friends and workmates to be there early. So we drag ourselves out of bed and meet at the church (luckily 2 tube stops away) at 10:30am...and the queue was already round the corner and down the street. WOW. So we wait and we wait and we wait some more, in the freezing cold I might add here (though I did try not to whinge too much cause I get teased for that :P ) Finally the queue starts moving and since we know that there is a cut off of number of people we are getting a bit nervous...and for good reason! They let only 25 more people in after us. Other friends of mine sadly didnt get in...shame. So into a full capacity of 1800 people club we go.

Now the drinking set up is one that i've never encountered before. You go and but vouchers that get you 3 drinks at a time then you go to the bar and get your 3 drinks (beer, cider or smirnoff ice in a can are the only choices) IN A PLASTIC BAG !!! so everyone wonders around/ dances with a plasic bag full of drinks. Then you drink as fast as possible, dance as much as possible and get to watch strippers, fat men doing an attempt at comedy/stripping/singing as well as drinking competitions and whatever else they have up their sleeves for entertainment.

It was great - SO much fun ! At the end the girls get to go dance up on stage while the now drunk and horney males get to looks on as some of the girl get their tops off (down to the bra) and well I got to go dance up there, have a laugh and smile as my gorgeous bf in the crowd :)

We then get kicked out at 4pm and we all mission down to the closest fast food (Mc D's) for food to fill the drunken tummies. I must say that Mc D has never tasted so good and gone down so fast in my life !

A few of us then went on to a random little cocktail bar in tottenham court area that had no signage and was down some dodgy looking stairs into the basement. Very cool little place...but maybe not so good to have carried on drinking. Callum and I then tottered off home to harrass the housemate and then lie in bed talking for hours (gotta love those drunken conversations)

Well i'm getting tried now just reading this and think that I'll just leave you with the sad fact that Monday bank holiday saw Callum and I going to the local cafe for a breakfast fry up and then basically lounging around and finally cleaning and doing laundry and being oh so domestic ...yes I'm finally domestic - LOL

Enough said, Night all

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin