Wednesday 7 November 2007

Guy Fawkes

I must say that I had no idea what a thing guy Fawkes (or Bonfire night) is in London!! I mean we've always sort of celebrated it in SA and I just expected the same sort of thing. Basically a few random events of fireworks and that would be it. But OH no - not a chance. They go all out here. Everyone buys fireworks and sets them off all over London from about 2 weeks before growing in intensity until the 5th Nov.

I just couldn't get over the amount of random fireworks being set off. Apparently it is more hectic on the estates where there are constant fireworks being set off.

At first it was too reminiscent of gunfire and really unsettled me - but you do get used to it. On the actual 5th Nov I was working late and had a great view out of our 5th floor windows at a myriad of fireworks. Then on the way home as I got out the bus and was walking up our road a someone set off a whole load of fireworks right across the road as I was walking - it was stunning!!! then as I carried along the road all i could hear we the bangs of fireworks everywhere. I started to think that this must have been similar to what it was like to walk around London in war time with the bombs raining down (possibly just a whole lot louder if they were closeby) It was a very strange feeling to be thinking this and walking home.

I'm also amazed that there seems that people can just freely set off fireworks anywhere. As far as I know SA has strict regulations about that. I must say that I saw a hell of a lot more fire trucks and ambulances rushing around. But I suppose as I had forgotten that this holiday is part of London tradition. I mean it all comes from Gay Fawkes trying to blow up the houses of Parliament here. And then my mind realised that hold on that was an act of terrorism. So seriously it is nothing new ...only the media is stronger and further reaching.

And here ends my ramble

2 comments:

callumd said...

Gay Fawkes - fighting for equality and the right to sip fruity drinks with umbrellas in them, way back when. ;)

MidniteGem said...

i thought you said it was religious :P

Oh dear...now your reading my blog ...have to watch what i say :P

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin