Tuesday 26 May 2009

Every Weekend should be a 3 day affair

There really are moments and day where I say to myself I love living in London. There are actually more days I say that to myself then you would think. I've never really understood how people could be miserable here ... well actually I do "understand" it but I just dont get it when there is just so much going on here and so much that you can get involved in. If there is one city in this world that can cater to everyone I think this is it.

Bank holiday weekends are normally wonderful times to be in the city of London. They always see them as an opportunity to just enjoy life. yeah I think that is what you could call it. On Saturday which was gorgeously warm we headed down to the Southbank to meet up at the Tate Modern with Miss M and friend of hers who as usual was weirdly connected to both C and I.

Once there we encountered the weirdest scenes outside the Tate, It was like they had beamed in some hippie festival. miss M even said that my photos made it look like we were far out in the countryside and not in the middle of London. There were loads of stall and interactive art things going on for kids. Playing with clay, making gingerbread men, making themselves dress up clothes, it was endless. There was a stage on the grass with random musical acts. Recycled stuff make into art work...there was just so much to see. This was all under the banner The House of Fairytales.

After roaming around there we headed in the Tate Modern turbine hall to see the exhibition which they had recreated from the original exhibition in 1971 called bodyspacemotionthings by robert morris. This was pretty cool in the sense that we got to run around like children interacting with the installation. It was things like balancing platforms, tightrops, climbing "chimneys" (C nearly got us kicked out when he did this as he mantel up and over the top of it...they were not impressed.) It was fun but I must say that health and safety always had to come into play which can be sad. Always being stopped when it is your choice to do something that could be deemed somewhat dangerous. The one bit where you were supposed to be able to hold onto a rope and stand on a ball and walk it around in a circle was of course not allowed. How sad.

After that we headed off to borough Market for some food - still one of my fav places in London. And after a long day got onto a bus and headed home slowly just like my body was feeling. I just love that the sun came out and it was warm and everyone took advantage of it. That is one of the best things about London - we dont take good weather for granted. That was also evident on Sunday when after some climbing indoors we headed down to the park and lay in the sun on the grass with everyone else. People get out and enjoy the weather. Grab some food and drinks and head to the park. everyone and anyone. even the neighbourhood goths get out for the sun.

I went summer dress mad on Friday and bought 5 dresses. This is so not like me as I hardly buy 1 dress let alone 5! but I just had this desire to have pretty summer dresses and really enjoy what the summer has to offer this year - hopefully it will be better then last.

This is where i'm going to leave this but will add some photos to enjoy :)

8 comments:

Janine / Being Brazen said...

I enjoyed living in London - it may get gloomy, but its seldom dull.

MidniteGem said...

So very true!

Bambi said...

I agree with you as I absolutely love London and also can't believe people who say they hate it. As the saying goes 'If you tire of London, you tire of life'. By the way I love the dress!!!

MidniteGem said...

@bambi (mommy) - ohhh i like that saying !! So very very true actually. Told you the dress was cool - now to get it in blue as well!

The Divine Miss M said...

Isn't that saying for New York??? I think they plug that for every city that is big :P

I am tired of London. I enjoy it and all but I am tired of it not feeling like home. Love to play tourist and explore every so often but just tired of not being at a place that feels like home.

Each to their own ;-)

MidniteGem said...

@Miss M - yeah i could understand that. But for me I guess I'm a bit of a nomad and make home where ever I am. I've always been like that. Mostly my home is in my head. lol

po said...

Wow, what a cool exhibition. I see that taking a climber there could cause some mayhem though.

MidniteGem said...

@po - oh yes. was such fun tho. was interesting doing chimney moves in a dress!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin