Wednesday 23 September 2009

Fuses and Plugs

You seriously learn something new everyday!!

On monday it was the fact that plugs here in the UK have fuses. Well to be honest I had taken note that there were fuses in the plugs but I hadnt really considered the practical application of it.

Come Monday morning as C put the washing in the washing machine and turned it on it managed to throw a wobbly and trip the electricity. Now in SA this had happened to me with numerous appliances and was always simply a case of flicking the switch on the electrical board and hoping that the appliance would trip it again when you use it. So C went out and flipped the switch to get the electricity back on and then tried the washing machine....

NOTHING...

it is now dead.

So we call up the landlord as this is something that we really do need to sort out asap!

After a conversation where it was decided that i'll just pull out the plug and put it back in and see what happens and then call him. Of course I thought that this wouldnt work and so after lugging the machine out of its hole and nearly breaking off the inlet pipe. We then get another call from the landlord to say had we checked the fuse... I mean really like I would have thought about the little thing hidden in the plug that we dont have in SA.

So we pull out the fuse and now have to find a 13 Amp fuse at 9pm somewhere in the house. But what else need such a powerful fuse? Looking as a few plugs we only come up with 3Amp fuses. Then I get the sudden idea... MY HAIRDRYER!

And what do you know... the hairdryer is the only other powerful enough appliances in the house! And stealling the fuse out of there and into the washing machine plug it was all fixed!!

But now I didnt have a working hairdryer!! I dont know what is worse?!?!

Ending side track:
On sunday night I watch 2 VERY different TV shows where the main characters names were the same as mine... then it turns out the in both shows the chick with the same name as me gets raped!! BOTH SHOWS. I think that is seriously weird.

4 comments:

po said...

Hectic. A fuse in the plug. I have not personally encountered this at all, but it rings a vague bell. Si if my appliances stop working I should check the plug first?

Well, even after 6 years here I am still learning new stuff!

MidniteGem said...

LOL - they are there, i promise! yeah i kinda knew they were there but it didnt really occur to me that it actually had a purpose and would do that.

Spear The Almighty said...

The one day my stove's plug caught fire. Scary stuff.

boldly benny said...

That is so interesting - my father is an electrical engineer so a byproduct of this that I am fascinated by how things work!

Very weird indeed about the TV shows.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin