Thursday 5 April 2007

Off to London

Firstly i have to start off with a little antidote about my last day in Cape Town. Anyone from SA who has travelled knows that one of the first thing people ask you when the find out your from AFRICA is "Do you have wild animals running around on the streets. Now many of us just laugh and think maybe we do in the form of the taxi drivers but have to inform them that we do not live in the bush ! Well as I'm walking into my local police station only a few blocks from the house, what do i see running around the grounds,...A GREAT BIG HUGE MALE BABOON !!! wild animal running around the neighbourhood! and apparently is still at large. So if you live in Claremont watch out for the baboon !

So anyway so last day in Cape Town was a bit surreal with seeing baboons, feeling sick with a sore throat etc, and trying to pack all the stuff i want to take into 2 bags (which ended up being 3!) And also having to say goodbye to people!

The airport was goodbyes were thankfully not too long and drawn out and in no time i had waved goodbye mom, dad, Marguerita, Mark and Luke (have to add the pic of them carrying my bags when i get it off my phone !)

The actual flight to Manchester was very uneventful other then the fact that i had written on my forehead "don't ever give me cutlery". Was able to sleep quite well and wasn't too exhausted by the time i got off the plane. Cruised through passport control - thanks Ma for the Irish passport !!! and picked up my bags and was wondering out trying to figure out how i'm going to get myself to the train and how I'm going to get my luggage and me all the way to London. I had picked the most wonky trolley that i was battling and having to walk sideways when i look up to see Callum walking toward me !!! the crazy amazing man had been up working in Scotland and had convinced the boss to let him work in the Manchester office for the Monday instead of going all the way back to London! So other then me being ecstatic at seeing him sooner then expected, I also had a nice big strong man to help with the bags :) They def have their uses.

After training and cabbing I finally arrived at Callum apartment and proceeded to settle in. This was all very slow and boring so off we went grocery shopping and then went out to dinner where Paul and Alice (Callums friends) happened to come into the restaurant so we landing up having a great time the 4 of us for dinner. Than of course it was down to the local pub (a block away - tho it seems like there is always a pub a block away wherever you are in London)

This morning consisted of me running around up and down the street that the first employment agency was in trying to find the damn company. Callum came to the rescue with the address number but that still didn't help much cause it was hiding away in a labyrinth of a building linked with other buildings. When i finally got there I wasn't very impressed with the interview and was a touch disheartened but was able to meet up with Callum for lunch cause he worked just round the corner and that of course brightened the day. Then off I was for the second appt which worked out really great and they were fantastic and pretty much as soon as I'd walked out the door and gone to sit in the park a block away (in the sunshine - yes there is sun shining over here) they had called with an interview for next wed for a job. So all is going well on that front and am feeling really positive about that.

Now I'm sitting doing some admin, making supper and waiting for Callum to come home from his mammoth wait in the car hire queue to get our car for driving off to Cornwall tmr !

So that is it for now and I'll have to post next week about the trip to Cornwall :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin