Tuesday 17 June 2008

Tales of the Download festival

Firstly I just wanted to say that i've been thinking lately and since i've started to read more and more fellow blogs out there I've found i've been starting to follow a bit of a format and i've decided that i'm going to change that and go back to how things were before. This might seem like a small simple difference but it means something to me. The main thing is that I was starting to blog more anonmously and well I never really was before so why should I now. I dont have anything to hide or feel any need to be held back if people know me. I know there are quite a few friends that read my blog and both my mom and bf read my blog regularly...esp thanks to rss feeds. lol. Anyway so even tho the people I write about are refered to by nicks it is normally their choice and preference. So here I am with C at download festival ------>

So anyways...Download ...WOW. I'm so glad we made the plans and effort to go. It was so great, I loved it. There are of course downsides to the mission and sleeping arrangements (i.e.camping) but it is all so worth it !!!

We threw everything together on Friday morning and I was impressed at how effiecient we were at it ...normally it is an insane rush and are always forgeting things. This time tho there we were sitting around waiting to head to the train station so that we didnt arrive TOO ridiculouly early (we are normally super early due to C and I both having paranoid tendancies as to missing planes, trains etc. even though we are in a mad rsuh at home) Here absolutly everything went so smoothly ! was great!

Once at the venue we were def overwhelmed by the shear size of it. As we wondered around amazed by all the tens of thousands of tents and wondering where the hell we were going to put ours down! We landed up in the campsite closest to the arena standing around with a group of about 30 people and more arriving by the minute waiting for the stewards to find us places to pitch tents. I wasnt too keen to stand around forever waiting and since we were still trying to stick to time schedule to be able to make it to see SEETHER. So when the steward said who has a 4 person tent my hand shot up so fast you would swear I had professional experience being a teachers pet. lol. Yes I know we had a 4 person tent for the 2 of us ...but it was great ! So off we went and pitched tent... What a cool tent we got for half price at Argos - damn i love that place!

Sadly we didnt make to to see seether...well we saw them walking off the stage. It was like a half hour trek from the camping grounds to the main stage - ARG!

So here is the list of bands out of the masses that we saw:
Friday:
Disturbed - so thrilled that I got to see these guys. Love the music. Sadly was by some wankers throwing negative comments around so had to move and find some fans.

Motorhead - So had to see these guy just to say I have since they are the for-fathers of the current rock stuff. I cant get over the inabilitly of Lemmy to make himself understood but he can still sing !! rock legend!

Rise against - Was good to hear these guys for the first time...will have to go find some more!

Kiss - Again you just have to see these guys to say that you have, I mean what a show with all the lights and fireworks and costumes!

Saturday:
Alter bridge - Wow what a hot lead vocalist! yummy! He is a rock kevin bacon look alike! Plus have liked the few songs that I have of theirs

Bullet for my valentine - A little to Trash for my liking

Incubus - So great! but would you expect any less! They performed most of their best tracks as well. I must say I loved the random comment "Whoa there is a giant hotdog back there...if your hungry or anything" (hotdog food stand reference)

Offspring - WOW Was right up there in the insane packed in crowd being jumped up and down and trying not to be squashed or trampled. Was amazing vibe ! and wow was I carried back to being 13 and mad about them. I was a teenager all over again :)

Sunday:
Fightstar
Apocalyptica - Really love these strange finiish (sp?) guys when they are doing Mettalica on strings...They are basically metal on classical instruments...you try full on head banging (the real deal) while playing a cleo at a million miles an hour! I must say that most of the stuff they performed from the new album was a little to thrash for me...didnt think they could get harder metal then they were already but I was wrong

Within temptation - Interesting Dutch goth metal with Chick lead vocal - kinda evanescene like.
Coheed & Cambria - Surprisingly better live then I thought they would be.
Jimmy eat world - Thought I would enjoy them better then i did. They played all the good tracks but I think it might have been the sound set up (heavy on the instruments, light on the vocals) that made them sound samey

and lastly but def the best Jonathan davis (I cannot describe the feelings that I go through when I hear this guy - let along live...There were shivers down my spine and tears in my eyes! He is the ultimate to me and i dont even know why just that the music get into me)


More tales to follow shortly ....


3 comments:

The Divine Miss M said...

Ja I only blog annoymously cause of work but otherwise I wouldn't mind people knowing who I am.

If you don't like what I say online then you won't like me cause it is me, not some hidden persona type of thing :)

Download sounded amazing!

Absolutely loved all the MMS updates you loon :)

Jam said...

SO jealous!! Sounds amazing. Wish bands like this would come to SA. And I know exactly what you're saying about Jimmy Eat World. I absolutely adore them usually and listen to their cds all the time, but was completely unimpressed with them when they came to SA for Oppikoppi last year... was actually totally bored.

MidniteGem said...

@msmozi - Yay, so glad to hear somebody else thinks that! Spot on...they are just do not seem to work live whatever it is.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin