Wednesday 5 November 2008

Slipping and sliding...


So want to hear the STUPID thing that happened this morning?..


I walked out our gate turned onto the pavement and heel of shoe slipped and down I went. I was seriously taken by surprise. This is a first for me...I dont fall down much, i'm not clumsy and I have a great sense of balance. But this morning there was just no stopping me going down. It happened so fast ! I know that I realised that my heel was slipping but this does happen, but I never actually go down. I was walking and then I was lying on the ground! It was that fast. My hand did get out enough to stop me from really slamming into the pavement but now it is slightly grazed and my elbow is sore from the shock it took.
I obviously picked myself up just as fast ...shot a look around to see if anyone had seen it ...and just my luck yes there was the cleaner that had finally cleaned all the slippery mulshy leave up (yet I did come asunder on those?!?!)
Now here is the kicker of the story... He decided that he had to tell me that I was wearing the wrong shoes! and proceded to LECTURE me on this fact ! I tried to walk past quickly and get away from the scene but to no avail - he was now following me!! So what could i do but stop and listen to his lecture since he was not going to be put off.
Street cleaner: Those are the wrong shoes. You shouldnt be wearing those heels!
Me: I have to for work, I work in the city and it is very corporate (while walking past as carefully and as quickly as possible)
SC: (running after me) Well then you should be wearing shoes like these (pointing at his leather construction steel toed boots with hiking type soles) and change them at work into those high heels.
Me: But this is the first time it has happened to me
SC: If it had been below zero last night you could have broken something now when you fell and then you would be off work for months. Its not worth it.
Finally I admit that i'm not used to the weather and the semantics of the shoes versus the pavement as I was from South Africa... That seemed to explain it all and he just went "Ahhhhh" and went back to his work.
How embarassing !!

6 comments:

po said...

Good grief, crazy cleaner. They are super duper safety conscious here though, hey?

MidniteGem said...

LOL - yeah, lets not even get into the whoel health and safety shit! I have to design offices with it in mind all the time - drives me up the wall!
Cept maybe it is needed since a guy on site this morning got 3 fingers chopped off!! EEEKk!

boldly benny said...

Oh you poor thing, not only do you have to contend with falling but also a lecture. Hope your hand and elbow are on the mend and I hope the lecturer keeps his distance from you!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha I love random lectures from strangers. For some reason I get them all the time... And unlike you, I DO fall over all the time. Now it doesn't even bother me :)

MidniteGem said...

@ BB - Thanks :) sadly the arm is actually much more painful this morning - but hey i'm used the pain from climbing.

@miss em - Thanks for stopping by :) LOL - well it is a little weird with the whole talking to strangers thing. They dont like to do that in London. So it was weird. I talk to people all the time but that is just me.
I'm so not used to the whoe falling down thing. I've stumbled around on the highest heels drunk and still NEVER wiped out. And now i do it sober and outside my front gate! i mean really!

Miss Caught Up said...

Geez. Doesn't he know that women's shoes aren't suppose to be about functionality and safety? Come on! lol :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin