Monday 12 May 2008

Being Creative

So am getting to be creative in my job again - YAY! When working with Miss Unhinged is was extremely difficult to get her to not design with her usual minimalist palette and set finishes. So for me there was very little creativity with finishes etc. All I had to do was dip into her stash of samples and use the same finishes for job after job. She is still doing this and I'm so happy to be away from that. Iranian Princess (friend and work college at the same level as me, there are only the 2 of us there) has had to work with her on a pitch and she has the same problems with Miss Unhinged as I did. Maybe not as many with personality clashings.

Anyway I'm getting off track. I've been work with Trendy non-stop designer and have mostly been working on her current jobs which means mostly doing CAD work which can get very boring indeed. But we've had a few pitches coming in lately and I've gotten away from the CAD a bit which is wonderful. Am def feeling more creative because of it. Trendy sent me off with a brief of the client and the budget and got me to do all the finishes for it with no controlling actions. So I had nothing holding me back. Am very happy with what I've put together and she is very happy and we'll just have to see what the client thinks this afternoon.

We have also been working on a pitch for a big football clubs offices in London. Trendy gave me the task of prettying up the plans in CAD but I reckon that people have gotten better results using Photoshop and I had a few basics so decided to take some initiative. After spending the morning seriously stretching my brain muscles trying to get it done in Photoshop Mouse (CAD technician next to me and friend) said to me why dont I use the new Autodesk programme that she has been testing for us. It is called Impression. So I started on that and wow what a difference. I'm sure Photoshop is useful for the more complicated effects but this programme did the basics much faster and easier. Plus since it is Autodesk it work so well with our CAD drawings. It is almost as simple and drag and drop finishes onto a plan and TA DA, you have a beautiful presentation quality plan.

I really enjoyed stretching my brain and learning new software - even if Photoshop is them most frustrating programme to learn. And I obviously did so well at teaching it to myself that now the studio manager wants me to teach it and help Iranian Princess with it today. So i'm just sitting around waiting to do that.

5 comments:

The Divine Miss M said...

Yey!!

I'm so glad you're getting to do what you love :)

Miss Caught Up said...

I so miss designing.. well, graphic designing :) You're so lucky to have a creative job!! :)

MidniteGem said...

YEah - wish my job was more creative for me at them moment but one cant help getting bogged down in the technical details - thats just how it is.

Lady Leather said...

Ah thats awesome! I always love it when clients give you creative leeway..makes designing so much more fun! And happy :)

MidniteGem said...

Yeah creativity def makes for happy designing :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin