Monday 19 May 2008

Hair Dressers


Ok so I need to know am I the only female that doesn't actually like going to the hair dresser? So far my whole life I've felt like I truly am the only one that does not enjoy it and tends to dread having to go through the whole thing.

I did find one guy that I could handle and that was mostly I think cause he was just so unusual and had a very different none commercial salon in the trendy Kloof neck rd area. But that hair cut cost me a fortune and you had to get him on a good coke taking day (maybe why he was so entertaining) On good days I've never had my hair so perfectly cut and so painstakingly made perfectly straight at the bottoms. On the bad days I would land up with the wonkiest fringe!

But again I got carried away about him. But it is more then that. I hate the whole salon visit:
the consultation of what you want to do with your hair and what colour you want to dye it, the dying process, the hair washing process, the cutting process, the blow drying process and finally the "show back of hair with a mirror and exclaim that your happy" process.

As many times as I've tried to get a hair dresser to tell me what they think would suit me best is as many times as they have tactfully declined any inspired advice and have just landed up giving me what I asked for...which wasn't what I asked for! I want their opinion not the opinion that they think I want to hear cause that I how I've been doing my hair for years. I've even tried the I need a change and I normally get such a half cocked opinion that I cant even be bothered and just ask for a trim. Or I get advice like the previous time where when choosing a dark brown she told me that it was too dark for my skin tone...umm... I am naturally dark brown you stupid cow!

But I have to say the fault lies with me as well. I find hair dressers unapproachable. Maybe is has something to do with sitting in the chair as they loom over me. Maybe is has to do with the fact that how can you communicate face to face with someone through a mirror - i think it creates such a barrier! I also feel like they don't really listen or should I say comprehend what I'm saying. On Saturday you could have swore we spoke completely different languages. Mostly cause I had a proper command of English and didn't finish each sentence with "innit?"

Then there is the hair dying that involves dry hair being combed and pulled in every different direction while the cold dye is painted all over your scalp and mushed into the remainder of your hair. Also pulling on hair with rubber gloves isn't very pleasant on the scalp! After that you get left alone with crappy out of date magazines (all hello, heat and ok, gossip mags) and you get to sit for an hour watching the colour that you not sure about get darker and darker while wondering if they really are timing this and they are not leaving it too long to make all your hair fall out. Luckily on sat I bought my book along to save me from the sad magazines.

And now for the part that EVERYONE else but me enjoys...the hair washing! Everyone I know loves the whole head massaging, warm water, having your hair washed for you. I hate it - always have and think always will! I cant stand other people pulling at my hair, hurting my scalp ( I think I must have a very sensitive one!) They never seems to get the water to my liking...I like it extremely hot! anything luke warm actually just makes me cold (I do have a strange body temp) I cant stand the massage as the person grabs hair as she does it and digs the occasional finger nail into my head. Then there is the sitting there with your head back staring at the ceiling wondering where to put your eyes. And they are not the most comfortable chair either, plus I have no idea where to put my arm. Now comes the really embarrassing bit...where they always ask me to sit right back in the chair to get your neck into the basin. This is all well and good if I wasn't already sitting as far back as possible. I'm just short ok !!! I had to sit on top of towels until I was about 17 !!! embarrassment deluxe!

The rest of the experience is all more of the same thing...pulling and hurting and pushing head in all different directions until my neck hurts. Dragging the comb down the back of my neck until the skin is raw! And with the hair drying is it all the more of the same but with heat thrown in! They always seem to blow dry my hair so that the front bits are constantly falling in my face and it is so soft that I cant even tuck it behind me ear. And of course having to divulge your life for them as they ask you endless questions to start conversation. I don't really want to tell you all of this!

Then of course I feel obliged to say that I love it while they are swiveling the small mirror to show you the back so fast you cant even see what they did. And all cause your done , your outta her,,, scram ...oh no but no until the whole bill paying experience where you are charged for the dye, wash, treatment, cut and the blow dry (even tho you said you didn't want the blow dry !!) Now there is the whole dilemma of do you tip the hair washer?!?! Now for me I hated every minute of it and I've just paid a whack of money to the salon and I still have to pay their employees more... I just don't get it.

So tell me please - how do people love going to the hair dresser?

7 comments:

Lopz said...

Aaaah, I definitely see where you're coming from midnite - I'm not the hugest fan of hairdressers either. I don't hate them with quite the same intensity, but I do find the whole trip to be annoying and always overpriced. Plus, I like my hair best when it's growing out from whatever new style I've put in it, so this means I am never 100% satisfied. I like the hair washing though - that's a treat.

The Blonde Blogshell said...

You poor poor angel!! Oh no no no!! This has got to change for you.
I personally LOVE the hairdresser, but I have an excellent one!
He knows exactly what I like and what I want.

Perhaps you should cut out pictures of what you like and tell them to copy it EXACTLY...not adding their own "artist" touch. If you tell them confidently they will do it. If you don't sound confidant, they take it as if, you're not too sure what you want done and they automatically add their own "flavour."

Maybe you do have a sensitive scalp, because the massages are my best! You need to find someone gentle and caring.

Hope you have better luck!

The Divine Miss M said...

The massages are my best too!

Gem you're strange ;) But in a really lovely wonderful way!

In fact I might go book myself a hairdresser appointment now!

Miss Caught Up said...

Wow.. wow! A hairdresser isn't suppose to use their fingernails and dig into your scalp when they massage your head. OUCH! The ones I've been to never do that. That is a no! no!

And they've always asked me what temperature the water I like as well.

Hmmm... perhaps, just keep trying until you find a hairdresser who fits you? Every hairdresser is different, so it's just trying to find the right person who fits your liking.

MidniteGem said...

oh dear - it is as I suspected ... I am the only one that hates it *sniff sniff*
Honestly I just think that I have an issue with strangers being in my bubble ... I have no problem with BF and friends playing with my hair (as they all love doing) but hate strangers touching my hair. Even dont do the hugs from strangers thing well.
Am actually not unhappy with my hair tho - it is nice and long and shiney and now a beautiful chocolate brown colour that I picked out there charts and told them it was that or no dye at all after the last time when she refused to dye my hair dark brown !
SO yeah Miss M I am strange and you love it !!! :)
Oh and yeah I am super sensitive ALL over !! Think i have more nerve ends close to my skin then some.

Katie Possum said...

hate going to the hairdresser. 9 times out of 10, i leave disappointed , and wear a hat for the next week!

MidniteGem said...

YAY - now I dont feel so alone - thanks Katie :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin