Wednesday 6 August 2008

Geeks R Us and Work stuff

So other then getting the new bike and going climbing on the weekend the rest of the time was filled with being a geek !! C came running in to show me that he found an open source free version of Civilizations called freeciv...and that you could download it for Pc, Mac or linux even. So after showing it to me and telling we could network, I went and downloaded it. So there we were me curled up in bed with my laptop playing and him at the kitchen table playing the same game. I did join him for awhile in the kitchen and later on he came back into the bedroom. Finally at about 4am when we were both getting our asses kicked by the AI players and not being able to team up against them very well we decided that we def need to get to sleep.

It was incredicbly hard getting to sleep tho even if it was 4:30am by now because I had the game sstill running in my head! I def felt very geeky having spent pretty much 12 hours straight in game play!

Work this week: boring ! I got pretty much everything sorted last week with Trendy away, and now with her back I've been relatively free of too much work.

Annoyingly though a project manager let the wrong flooring get laid on one of our sites and tried to blame the drawings etc. Landed up in a big arguement about it since I could back up the drawings. And then finally I got him to check his email order and the correct drawing was attached so basically the flooring company was going on an old quote and not the drawing. So it is their fault BUT... I have to say what a WANKER of a project manager to not even know what finishes are going in on his jobs. He should have noticed that the order was wrong and that when it was being laid that it was wrong. but NO it took me walking past it on site to suddenly turn around and go how come the floor is green not black !!! And then he wanted me to convince that client that that was the choice all along...I think they would know if they approved a green floor rather then a black slate effect. IDIOT ! I swear all project managers do the flippin bare minimum and expect you to pick up the slack in the job.

Another little work thing is that finally the air con broke ....YAY. I've been sitting pretty much underneath this air con having freezing cold air being dumped on me all day long causing me to wear stockings, trousers and jerseys in summer (I know that the summer is not exactly boiling hot here but this was even on the 29 degree day!) So after lunch time yesterday water came gushing out of the unit all over the carpet - it had sprung a leak. So of course we have to turn it off and call in the mantainance guys.

Now i've been complaining that it is working properly for ages. It dumps air just where I am and then doesnt circulate it so the rest of the office doesnt get anything. I also said it was making people ill and that it was making funny noises. So of course when the maintainance guy was reporting on it I could help but over hear what the guy had to say:

1) The pump in the unit had been broken for awhile so wasnt pumping the air.
2) the water pipes were all clogged up and seriously needed to be "disinfected" asap.

About bloody time that this gets sorted !! Hopefully when it gets fixed then I would be so freezing cold everyday cause it has really been affecting my joints and headaches. We'll have to wait and see.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin