Wednesday 6 February 2008

He's back !!

So my lovely gorgeous fantastic bf is finally back in London from Argentina all full of stories!! Honestly I have no idea how these guys (correction people as there was a female in the group) got through the whole experience. The more and more I hear about the conditions the more I think i'd happily stay in bed thank you very much. But I do see how the whole experience was so worth it in the end. Even with the -25 degree C, frost on your sleeping bag, peeing in a bottle, walking while unable to breath properly for 6 hours a day at the end you have gone through something truely extreme with a great bunch of people that you have bonded with in a way that you have no idea. But I dont know how happy I am to hear that a certain tentmate was trying to spoon with my bf!!



I would also just like to point out that even though everyone said not to be overly concerned about the risks, that is was just a "walk up a hill" I was still concerned and with good reason! Out of the starting group of 12: 2 got strep throat, 1 didnt have enough oxygen getting to his blood and 1 got pulmonary edemia (spelling?) which is fluid on the lungs from the altitude which can be deadly. There was also a guy from another group (and expedition company) died in one of the camps on the mountain while C was at that camp.

Only 4 of the group made it to the summit. C was the last to pull out of the summiting attempt and made it to 6800m!! which is absolutly amazing ! Am so proud of him!

I have to say that i'm SO very happy to have him home - even with all the teasing and torturing and general mayhem that he brings with him!

2 comments:

The Divine Miss M said...

Yey for C being home!

I think you were very strong Gem and personally I only was trying to make you not constantly focus on how dangerous the trek was. I knew, you knew but we didn't need to always be focusing on it did we? :)

And I'm sure C knows how impressed, happy and proud I am for him too!

Michele Horwitz said...

Well done Callum!

Very very impressive, and I'm so glad you're mind can be at ease again, Gem.

Enjoy having your bf back :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin